Friday, October 20, 2006

Disciple Bible Study in Iraq

(click on photo to enlarge)

In one of my early posts I expressed a desire to offer several different study opportunities for our Soldiers, and the need I had for groups to sponsor these studies. The response was overwhelming! Two weeks ago we began the 8-week study Inivitation to the New Testament, part of the Disciple Bible Study Series. Pictured above are some of the intrepid souls who are making this journey. Thanks to Milledgeville First United Methodist Church in Milledgeville, Georgia for sponsoring our study.

I have long had a love affair with this part of the world. I have been lucky enough to travel in the Mideast on a number of occasions, but I never thought I would make it to Iraq. So much of biblical import has happened here from The Garden of Eden, to Abraham's sojourns, to Jonah, and Ezekiel and the Tower of Babel. It is a real treat to be able to study Scripture here with like minded brothers and sisters.

Living here, learning about the culture, interacting with the people, all while studying the scriptures is making an impact on these Soldiers. Yesterday one of them was remarking on how little has changed in the culture since biblical times. The upshot of the conversation was that it illustrated for the Soldier how radical Jesus' message of love, forgiveness, and reconciliation really was! That's an important insight for a Believer to have.

Thanks for providing these kinds of studies, and thanks for praying for our soldiers.

If you would like to do something a little more tangible, shoot me an email and I'll send you a list of some things our Soldiers need and want.

God Bless,

Jim

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home