Wednesday, May 23, 2007

McEachern Memorial UMC


It has been a while since I have posted, but I wanted to wait until an official announcement had been made at my new church about my arrival as their new Senior Pastor. That announcement was made this past Sunday at McEachern Memorial UMC in Powder Springs, GA; one of the Atlanta suburbs (so, yes, I am going to have to change my comment about where I live in my profile). McEachern is a 3,000 member church that has averaged 1,130 people in worship since the beginning of the year, according to their Lay Leader. I am very excited about this appointment, and hope to be there for many years.

The Army's crackdown on blogs and emails is making posting to my blog more difficult. I believe this is a huge error on the part of the Army. It is no secret that we are losing the Information War to Al-Jezeera. Blogs are a way that Soldiers can give a boots on the ground perspective of what is happening here. All too often it is a view that goes completely unnoticed in the mainstream media back home. An example is the piece on this blog entitled "Soldiers". It talks about my experience during the National Anthem here in Balad; you will not find that kind of story on CNN, MSNBC, or FOX. OK, enough preaching. Just know that I will be posting to my blog less frequently over the next few months I am here. That is a real shame because I had jumped up from 40-60 hits a day to some days over 500.

I anticipate being home in early August, and my first Sunday at McEachern (www.mceachernumc.org) should be 26 Aug. Please consider this to be an invitation to attend the first Sunday at 1100.

Thanks for all you are doing to support our troops. My time here will be over soon - only 9 Sundays left. I can't wait to get back home and see you all again.

11 Comments:

At 9:29 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jim,
your right on the boots on the ground perspective. We did not have blogs in Nam but I can assure you the Gov't censored our hand written mail striking out 'sensitive information'. Assigned to a combat medical unit our presence and whereabouts were I admit sensitive. But most of the rest was not. So the Army is really no different than the USAF in that regard.
If you would like to get some info back to us for general disemenation use my email fspaeth@bellsouth.net and I will do the rest.
Met your family and everyone here is thrilled with them. You are definatly going to fit in and will love this assignment. Thank God and thank the Bishop for it!

 
At 9:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

God bless you and your family! Have a safe trip home!
Love In Christ,
The Staggs Family (Wes, Angie, Weston and Wyatt)
McEachern Members

 
At 12:27 AM, Blogger Flag Gazer said...

It is a beautiful church!
Congratulations!

 
At 3:38 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

As a new member at McEachern, I can assure you that you will be welcomed with the most love any church family can offer. I was. We are anxiously waiting for your arrival. God Bless, Martha

 
At 10:35 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Powder Springs is a great place. My boyfriend (a Marine in Fallujah) grew up there, but he and his family attend a different church. Have fun in a great community!

 
At 4:18 AM, Blogger Wade Huntsinger said...

A lovely Campus indeed. I am sure your excitement can hardly be contained. I pray for your safety

 
At 3:55 PM, Blogger Empress Bee (of the high sea) said...

will try to find our how far it is from podunk (blairsville) and see about it!! it is lovely....

smiles, bee

 
At 5:35 AM, Blogger Sarge Charlie said...

A wonderful shrine, you earned it Sir. Thanks for your service.

 
At 6:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

God bless you and keep you safe. We look forward to seeing you at McEachern Methodist....

 
At 9:16 PM, Blogger Dayngr said...

Thinking of you this Memorial Day & wishing you all the best.

 
At 12:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

For all you members of McEachern UMC! You have no idea what a wonderful pastor you are getting. Hold on to your seats! You are in for an awesome experience. Tony Brown

 

Post a Comment

<< Home