Thursday, June 07, 2007

Food!

One thing I have not spoken about on this blog is food.

Quick quiz. We eat in a:

1. DFAC (Dining Facility)
2. Mess Hall
3. Chow Hall
4. All of the Above

Actually, we eat at the DFAC, but we go to “chow”. Mess Hall is another era.
Do you remember eating in the cafeteria in high school or college? Imagine doing that 24/7 365 days a year, since 6 March 2006. And no, Domino’s doesn’t deliver to Iraq. I should weigh either 300 pounds or 100.

Tuesdays, however, are my favorite: Mongolian BBQ. We go through the line and put whatever we want on the plastic plate. I usually opt for shrimp, polish sausage, garlic, broccoli, garlic butter, spaghetti, and red pepper flakes. The KBR folks then throw it all on a grill and cook it. I figure it is not half bad because I make half of it.

Breakfast is my other favorite meal. But how can you mess up single serving cereal, radiated milk from a carton, a banana (when fresh fruit is available) coffee, and orange juice in a carton, all with Arabic writing?

My friends who know how much I like to cook must know how much this is driving me crazy. So, when I get home it’s pork tenderloin, pulled pork, baby back ribs, t-bones, chicken parmesan over angel hair pasta, grilled chicken quesadillas, lasagna, seafood linguine, spatchcock chicken, omelets, and whatever else I can find in Bon Apetit, Gourmet, and Southern Living.

I haven’t figured out what I’ll make for my second meal.

11 Comments:

At 12:40 PM, Blogger Margaret Neal said...

Just let me know what time your first dinner is!

 
At 7:14 PM, Blogger Scoot said...

I want to sit by you at the Family night Suppers! I was worrying about how we would get along, you being the fitness conscious military guy and me being the, well.....un-fitness conscious non-military guy, but I think I've found the common denominator(besides our Savior)....Food! We anxiously await your arrival and invitations to the cookout!

 
At 12:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just a quick note to let you know that I like this post. I have linked to it on a new thing I'm trying out on the VAJoe Blog called "Milblog Roundup". Check it out if you like:

http://www.vajoe.com/blog/2007/06/07/milblog-roundup-2/

 
At 12:57 AM, Blogger Flag Gazer said...

Makes me want to go cook!

 
At 7:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

WHAT IN THE WORLD IS SPATCHCOCK CHICKEN ? ! I WENT TO THE FOOD NETWORK RECIPES AND IT SEEMED TO REFER TO HOW THE BIRD IS CUT, IS THAT RIGHT ? WITH JIM LOWRY IT WAS BANANA PUDDING, ROBIN WAS HOME MADE FUDGE LIKE HIS GRANDMA MADE AND NOW--- SPATCHCOCK CHICKEN !!! YOU DON'T LIKE RICE KRISPIE TREATS DO YOU ? GOD BLESS,

REBECCA McCOY

 
At 11:21 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

We will let you cook lots of yummy food for us when you get home!! : P

And what IS spatchcock chicken????

: ) Shannon

 
At 9:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jim, I think you hit a cord. We wouldn't be true Methodist's without the mention of FOOD.

Spatchcock Chicken? hmmmm...

 
At 7:46 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What no El Toro #1 in Iraq? Only on Buford Hwy?

And I thought you guys lived dangerously!

Wayne

 
At 1:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sir, could you please email me? A Marine in Iraq would like to get in touch with you, but he cannot access blogger from his computer. Loopylibertarian@gmail.com

 
At 8:49 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Major Higgins, I am cooking spatchcoked chicken today in honor of your service to our country.

Come visit my cooking blog to see the final result and the dedication to you.

Happy Independence Day... and thank you for your service to our country!

 
At 11:12 PM, Blogger Anna Torv said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home